Saturday, May 12, 2012

What Happened When My Bike Hit A Parked Car ,

JUST WHAT HAPPENED?
First, it was my own stupid fault and just the kind of thing that gives all bicyclists a bad name, so right up front I want to offer my apologies to bicyclists everywhere for being stupid. I was bicycling to work one day this week and I ran straight into the bumper of a parked car.

WHY DID IT HAPPEN?
It was a busy day. I rode my bicycle 16 miles in the morning to teach a kid's art class across town. I had been letting myself get over tired with extra bicycling, house work, a home business and my part time job. So, fatigue took over and my thinking became fuzzier than normal.

THE GRIM DETAILS:
I was on a suburban road about three miles into my commute to work. The road was one of those long dull sloping hills, just enough incline to make you know you are working harder to get ahead. Because I was fatigued I let my head drop and began to get mesmerized by the passing asphalt, and the spin of my wheel. Suddenly there was something big on the top of my vision, I pressed the breaks as my front tire autographed the rubber bumper of a car and my rear wheel kicked up. For a moment I was off my seat bent over the handle bars. The bike twisted sideways and settled between my legs, I still had the handle bars, and landed on my feet- unhurt.

SO, WHAT DID I LEARN?
I can hear everyone saying "Watch where you are going, you dummy!" Of course watch where you are going is the obvious; but it is more than seeing what is ahead...
  • We have to listen to the sounds around us.
  • We have to scan the edges of the road.
  • We need to keep hydrated to remain mentally sharp.
  • Allow enough time to not feel the need to compromise safety.
  • We need to see up every driveway and side street long before we approach.
  • We need to aim high in our vision and see as far ahead as possible. 
  • We need to be aware of the every changing environment around us.
  • We must keep mentally fit and if we are unwell or sleepy or mentally out of it then we must park it.
TO CONCLUDE:
I was lucky to hit a rubber bumper and only injure my pride, far worse could have happened. I must be aware of my mental state and keep alert. Maybe God was giving me a nudge to keep me from getting too cocky, and I will take it as a warning to be careful.

I know most who read this are dedicated and serious bike riders who do not do stupid things like I did; but I offer this confession in the hopes that maybe one bicyclist will remember to stay alert keep their head up to not hit a bumper or go under one.