Thursday, September 13, 2012

What I Learned While Riding My Bicycle, Slow Down.

I learned a life lesson while riding my bicycle the other day.

There are times when I want to race, race and race some more when bicycle riding to work or home again. I hit the hills where I want to power crank my way up, and when I get to the top I pour on the speed to capitalize on the momentum until I am flying down the other side at unsafe speeds. I feel the thrill and rush of going as fast as I can; I exult in setting a new personal record home.

This is fine but it is not all. I learned the value of slowing down and even coasting for a time because my front gear-shiftier broke so I was not able to switch up and down the gears. It was discouraging; I was stuck in one gear, my second gear on the front sprocket. So I just rode my bike, no racing, and no speed record, just getting where I needed to go.

It was a different experience to coast along without pumping power into my legs and spinning the crank as fast as I could; in fact, it was fun!  I drifted up streets and looked at the passing scenery; I glided down hills and took my sweet time climbing the next hill. It was relaxing and enjoyable.

My mind was more relaxed since I was not concentrating on potholes, gears, anticipating the next hill, and the push, push, push, push of cranking the bike as fast as possible. I was thinking about less demanding things.

I was more relaxed when I arrived at work and had energy to spare because I had not spent every ounce of strength just trying to get to work. I had some reserves left. When I got home I had energy for chores and duties needed to be done for home and family.

Reflecting on this I realized that sometimes you need to slow down and enjoy the ride. Many people say you have to stop and smell the roses. When I was racing along I didn't even see that there were roses on the way now I add extra time so that I can see the beauty around me and enjoy the ride.

(c) Adron